Claiming the Job Retention Bonus

New guidance has been published on claiming the Job Retention Bonus. The Job Retention Bonus provides for a £1,000 bonus payment to employers that bring back an employee that was furloughed under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, and continuously employs them for at least 3 months after the furlough scheme ends.

The £1,000 Government bonus will be payable for every employee retained under the stated terms. The bonus must be claimed between 15 February 2021 and 31 March 2021. No further claims will be accepted by HMRC after 31 March 2021. 

Employers will still be able to claim the Job Retention Bonus even if they are receiving support from the recently announced Job Support Scheme.

In order to make a claim the employer must have:

  • made an eligible claim for the employee under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
  • kept the employee continuously employed from the end of the claim period of their last Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme claim for them, until 31 January 2021
  • ensured their employee is not serving a contractual or statutory notice period on 31 January 2021 (this includes people serving notice of retirement)
  • paid the employee an amount in each relevant tax month and enough to meet the Job Retention Bonus minimum income threshold. To meet the minimum income threshold the employer must have paid the employee a total of at least £1,560 (gross) between 6 November 2020 and 5 February 2021.

Employers may be able to claim for employees who have transferred to them under TUPE or due to a change of ownership.  To claim the bonus for these employees the employer must have furloughed and successfully claimed for them under the CJRS, as their new employer.

Employers will not be able to claim for employees who transferred after the CJRS closes on 31 October 2020. HMRC’s guidance is due to be updated by the end of January 2021 with details of how to access the online claim service.

Source: HM Revenue & Customs Wed, 07 Oct 2020 00:00:00 +0100

Latest articles

Notifying cessation of self-employment

Any taxpayers that have ceased to be self-employed must notify HMRC of their change in status. There are a number of steps that must be followed if a taxpayer ceases trading as a sole trader or if they are ending or leaving a business

Submitting CIS nil monthly returns

The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) is a set of special rules for tax and National Insurance for those working in the construction industry. Businesses in the construction industry are known as ‘contractors’ and ‘subcontractors’ and should be

Check employment status for tax

The Check Employment Status for Tax (CEST) tool can be used to help ascertain if a worker should be classified as employed or self-employed for tax purposes in both the private and public sector.

The service provides HMRC’s view if IR35 legislation

Class 1A payment deadline

Class 1A NICs are paid by employers in respect of most benefits in kind provided to employees such as a company car. There is no employee contribution payable. If you provided taxable benefits to staff or directors your business is likely to have a